Tequila Shrimp with Avocado
I love this dish as an appetizer served on avocado or an entree served with tortillas or rice. I use New Mexican red chile powder, which is medium-hot, but you could use a more intense powder if you want more of a kick.
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 ground cumin
¼ ground black pepper
1.5 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
3 tablespoons canola oil, separated
¼ cup tequila
4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Lime wedges (optional)
1. Toss the spices, and 1 tablespoon of the oil with the shrimp.
2. Heat a skillet and add the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the shrimp and saute for a minute.
3. Add the tequila and cilantro and saute until shrimp is pink and firm.
4. Remove from heat and toss with lime juice.
5. Cut avocado into pieces and lay on plate. Salt and pepper them.
6. Display the shrimp on the avocado.