Wild Mushroom, Asparagus and Truffle Pizza
The really great thing about pizza is that the topping combinations that taste really fantastic, are limitless. I am a big fan of the simple, classic Margarita, but love the fancier versions too. This pizza has a very rich taste, from the sparing amounts of Taleggio cheese and the truffle oil, but a little of these ingredients go a long way. With all the spring vegetables loaded on top, it ends up being a very healthy pizza.
I paired this will a more full-bodied Pinot Noir that had red cherry with gamey and mushroom notes and they were really delicious together.
Wild Mushroom, Asparagus, and Truffle Pizza
2/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup high gluen flour or unbleached bread flour
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup semolina flour
1 1/2 cups (or more) unbleached white flour
(Makes enough for 2 pizzas)
1. In a medium bowl, mix sponge ingredients together with a whisk. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a a warm, draft-free place for 20-30 minutes.
2. Add oil, salt, and water to sponge then add flour in 1/2 cup increments until incorporated.
3. Knead for about 10 minutes. Place in a n oiled medium size bowl. Let sit 40 minutes covered with plastic wrap in a warm draft-free place. Divide into two and either use both to make two pizzas or freeze one for later.
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Place pizza stone in oven to heat up with the oven. Let it heat for 30-40 minutes.
2. Place pizza on peel or baking pan before adding toppings.
3. Bake on stone 8-10 minutes, turning half way through baking. Bottom should be browned nicely.
8 oz mixed wild mushrooms (lobster, cremini, shittake, morels, etc.), sliced and lightly sauteed to release moisture
5 stalks of asparagus, cut on the diagonal in 2 inch pieces and lightly steamed
1 3.2 ounce jar of mushroom/truffle spread
8 ounces baby spinach leaves
5 ounces of Taleggio cheese
1 tablespoon truffle oil
Fresh ground white pepper
1. Spread the truffle-mushroom spread around the bottom of the pizza. Top with the spinach, mushrooms and asparagus. Distribute pieces of the cheese evenly around. Grind pepper over the pizza and drizzle truffle oil.
2. Bake following instructions above. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.