Sweet Potato-Rutabaga Soup with Bacon and Blue Cheese Crouton
December 4, 2009 | Comments Off
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and large diced
1/2 pound rutabaga, peeled and large diced
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup shallot, fine diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
sprigs of thyme, sage, and rosemary
Salt and white pepper to taste
3 strips of bacon
4 oz blue cheese
2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot and saute shallots and garlic over medium heat until soft, about 6 minutes.
2. Add broth, potatoes, rutabaga, and herbs and simmer until the potatoes and rutabaga are soft.
3. Turn off heat and let cool a bit. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor. Return soup to cleaned pot to reheat.
4. Fry bacon until crispy and transfer to paper towel to blot excess oil.
5. Put baguette slices on a baking sheet and top with blue cheese. Broil on low until cheese melts.
6. Put soup in soup bowls; top with bacon and blue cheese baguette slices. Drizzle a little hazelnut oil on soup.